For a Board or senior management team it is vital to spend dedicated, uninterrupted time together at periodic intervals to reflect, think and plan.
Normal, routine Board or management meetings won’t do because they typically have a crammed agenda and there simply isn’t enough quality time available to engage in dedicated discussion and innovative thinking.
Away-day meetings – sometimes called ‘executive retreats’ – are also a valuable opportunity for team members – especially non-execs or new team members – to get to know colleagues better and build a closer team together.
Meetings are typically one or two days in length, held at a different location to the office e,g, hotel, with an overnight stay often. As part of the overall programme, if attendees have some time to spend relaxing together e.g. dinner, do some sports, or go for a walk outside, this can be very effective for both building relationships and spurring improved thinking in the ‘working sessions’.
Some typical uses of an executive away-day meeting include, for example:
- To review progress of the organisation’s current strategic or business plan
- To review the progress of two or three major development projects underway
- To have an extended discussion about one or more major strategic issues or opportunities
- To review or revise the company’s vision, mission, objectives or values
- To engage in some dedicated ‘blue-sky thinking about the organisation’s future direction
- To review future budget or resourcing issues
- To review the company’s organisational or senior team structure
- To review latest risks facing the organisation
- To discuss ways in which Board and executive team members could work together better.
Owen Morris designs each away-day individually to suit each client’s particular goals, after a careful briefing with the CEO, Board Chair or other relevant senior executive.
As well as expert design in advance, professional facilitation on the day and careful write-up afterwards and post review with the client afterwards to confirm follow-on actions, we can take care of all the logistical details for the meeting itself – tasks like finding and booking the right venue, arranging the catering and audio-visual equipment – if that’s what a client wishes.
So, contact Owen Morris today and let us help make your organisation’s next away-day a very successful day.